I hope you are all doing well today. I thought I would put this piece together today because for some reason I woke up today feeling a little low and down in the dumps. Absolutely no idea why because nothing particularly bad has happened but it might be because I am off work all week and although that may sound like a blessing for many, I am not actually very good at not having a routine because I start to over-think and basically feel like a bit of a bum. Anyway, I am going to put together a little list of things that we can all do when we feel a little poo. Because luckily, a lot of them will work 🙂 And don’t forget by the way that if you are not feeling particularly happy today, it will most likely pass in a few hours and tomorrow is very much a new day. Remember that. Also, sometimes if we smile our way through the day and pretend that we feel happy, that does help lift our mood. If in doubt, pretend. That should be my motto in life 🙂
So here we go, next time you aren’t feeling too happy, give these things a go:
- Try and get out the house. For me, sitting at home and thinking and thinking and thinking and then scrolling down my Facebook newsfeed and seeing how “wonderful” everyone else’s life is, is not helpful at all. By remaining in the house, I start to believe that I will feel sad the entire day and then of course, I do. Having a shower, chucking some clothes on and getting out the house and into a different environment (whether it be a coffee shop or the supermarket or the park) will really lift your mood and hopefully change your outlook a bit. For me, when I can see life around me, people busy running errands etc, I straight away feel much better. Going to the park or walking by the river and being surrounded by nature is very very important for our psyche. It has a big calming effect, takes us away from our thoughts, reminds us that there is a big wide world out there and allows us as human beings made up of energy to connect with the energy of nature.
- And that brings me nicely onto the next thing that will help us to feel better – Human interaction. I don’t necessarily mean surrounding yourself with a tonne of people because sometimes when you are feeling low, that is the last thing you want to do. But what I mean is, even if you have an interaction with a stranger as small as them smiling at you when you let them cross the road when you’re driving, that will even lift your mood somewhat. About 15 minutes ago, I accidentally parked in front of someone’s garage and a man came out and started to calmly explain that I had to move my car and it actually cheered me up a bit. Because I was actually talking to someone! Interacting with another human being which is very essential for our well-being and functioning. We need people. As much as we might not think we do, we really do. And go and see that friend for coffee that you keep bailing on, even if you don’t feel like it. You know it will make you feel better and them too.
- This next point is such an obvious one to say but I really cannot emphasise how important it is for our mental well-being. Exercise. For me, this has literally saved my life at times of real struggle. It can improve your mood when you are feeling low, more than anything else can in my opinion. At least, that’s always how it has worked for me. We all know the benefits and why it works so well (producing happy hormones etc) but we just need to make sure that we do it. I know it may feel hard to get yourself in gear when you aren’t feeling that great but just remember how freakin awesome and strong and positive you will feel after you have done it. If I could bottle up that feeling I really would. I currently have my gym clothes on now so that when I finish this post, I will go straight for a run because I know I will feel like a million dollars afterwards. And even if its not quite a million, it will definitely definitely definitely make me feel better a bit. Put your training shoes on folks 🙂
- Spoil yourself. Whether that means going to get your hair cut, painting your nails a bright colour, getting a massage, putting a face mask on, having a hot bubble bath, do something which is kind to yourself. Because you really do deserve it. Here is me after I had my hair cut a few months ago. I LOVE GOING TO THE HAIR SALON SO MUCH!!! IT MAKES ME HAPPY 🙂
- Sorry I know it’s not that healthy but I’ve gotta say it’s literally one of my favourite things to do in the entire world. Erm……..EAT SOME CAKE!!!!! Fuck yeah. Go and get yourself the fattest piece of chocolate cake known to man and stuff it down your throat. Instant. Heaven. Burp. Here’s one I made earlier:
(I didn’t actually make it but you know what I mean:)) Oh shit, my keyboard has just gone into spasm…..
How strange I keep uploading pictures of cake….Sorry I am trying to work on it…
Ok one more 😉
My god that above one was probably the most amazing piece of cake I have ever consumed in my life!!! And breath Hannah. Ok where was I? The next thing you can do when you are feeling blue is:
- As hard as it may be to focus and to get stuff done that day, try and do as much as you can. Even if they are just small tasks. This morning I realised there were a few tasks that I’d been putting off for days so I just went ahead and got them done. Tidy your bedroom, open your mail, pay that bill you’ve been putting off paying, write to your granny, whatever your tasks that you have for yourself may be, try and get them finished. I like to keep a diary so that I can list the things that I need to get done each day and it gives me such satisfaction when I can tick them off.
- Do something thoughtful for someone else. It helps pull you out of your head and thoughts so that you can focus on someone and something else. Write to your granny (apparently I need to write to my gran ha), tidy your housemates room, get some nice ingredients from the supermarket so that you can rustle up your partner a nice dinner. Even just doing something small for a stranger which helps make their day brighter and slightly easier. Because you never know, they may be feeling the same way as you are. Give them a smile 🙂 When I was flying to Malta from London a few weeks ago, I met a lovely girl on the plane and after chatting for a few hours, I offered that I give her a lift to her hotel. She was so thrilled!! We had a right laugh on the journey even though we got lost ha!! She gave me some lovely sweets from Latvia, her home country to say thank you. It helped make her life slightly easier and we both made a new friend 🙂
- Keep that head up. Literally raise your head and eyes up physically and breathe deeply. Keep your shoulders back and relaxed. You can get through this day. You are strong and brave and resilient. You are awesome and you are you. Be proud of yourself. Getting back in touch with your physical breath will help to calm you, centre you and again, takes your attention and focus away from your head and your thoughts. That is why I am a big fan of meditation. Anything which helps to silence the mind, breathe and live in the current moment will always help you when you aren’t feeling that great.
- Make a colourful vision board with all of your goals for yourself for the year. What would you like to achieve for the rest of the year? Even if they are small aims, write them down and just look at them. Visualisations are very powerful and by visualising your dreams in your mind you transport yourself momentarily to that dream which will make you feel happy.
- If you really don’t feel like leaving the house, wack on one of your favourite movies, sit on the sofa with some big fluffy blankets and just have a movie day 🙂 You deserve it. The other night, my housemate and I watched the new Bridget Jones movie and oh my gosh it is ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!! We laughed our arses off!! I highly recommend it.
I hope these little things will help you when you are feeling a little blue. If you aren’t sure about them, just try them out anyway. I can guarantee that they will help even just a little bit. For me, if I had to choose only one to recommend to you, I would say the exercise one. It really is such a powerful way to raise your mood.
Smile. You are awesome xx